Thursday, March 17, 2016

WP2 Experience

My overall experience with this paper was a learning experience. At first, I set out to write a paper about cannabis and what it is and also explain its effects. I thought it was a great paper and I was pretty proud about it. Unfortunately, it turned out to be more of a research paper as opposed to an informer synthesis. I didn't use my sources properly and I pretty much plagiarized almost my entire paper. After having a meeting with my professor, I decided that the best plan for me was to start from scratch and write about another topic. I decided to write about cheerleading. I chose this topic because I am very familiar at what cheerleading is, what it teaches, and its advantages. I was also able to incorporate the negative side by talking about injuries. The reason I know so much about cheer is because I cheered for three years in high school. Many people say that cheerleading isn't a sport and there is nothing more annoying than people saying that to a cheerleader. I decided to explain how cheerleading IS a sport in my paper. I had fun writing this paper because I felt like I would finally be able to convince people that cheer is a sport. I did so by using sources, personal experience, and background knowledge on the sport. I learned how to use my sources properly (I hope) and I was able to make this paper my own as opposed to my sources being "louder" than my own words. However, I didn't think it would be so difficult to explain something about a topic that I am so familiar with. I sat on my bed and thought about what I would say for a good while. I decided to say that cheer is a sport because it teaches life values, just like any other sport. I also mentioned that cheerleaders are also getting scholarships awarded to them too and not just common sports like football and basketball. Lastly, I talked about the risks that cheerleaders go through everyday a practice. I am not saying that other sports aren't dangerous. But if cheer wasn't a sport, why is it considered the most dangerous sport for women? Although I did not end up going with my original design plan and outline, I did my absolute best to explain how cheerleading is a sport and I had a great time doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment